Wednesday, April 25, 2012

San Antonio, Texas


The Alamo
A beauty amongst the beautiful. 


Getting started at the River Walk.
Beauty, River Walk, San Antonio, TX


Koolaid

River Walk, San Antonio, TX

River Walk, San Antonio
One of many outside eateries.


San Antonio skyline
As you can see, we made it to San Antonio, TX. Departed New Orleans Monday AM with an overnight stop in Beaumont, TX. 270 miles New Orleans to Beaumont. 278 miles from Beaumont to San Antonio. Its been taking us about 5 to 6 hours per segment which seems to be the perfect amount of time to spend on the road. This time includes a 30 to 45 minute break for lunch at a rest stop and of course stopping to feed the monster at an available gasoline trough.

San Antonio has been a joy so far. Visiting the Alamo took me way back to my childhood when on many occasion I elected to be Davy Crockett while protecting my yard or Dad's garage from the evil General Santa Anna. It is much smaller than I envisioned and is now being utilized as a solemn beautiful memorial to those who gave their lives defending this wonderful country.

The River Walk is everything and then some of what people have told us. Its hard to believe that someone had such a vision back in 1929. I'm sure it has evolved over time but to have such a vision in 1929 is beyond my comprehension.  I'm hoping the pictures give you some sense of the place because I don't think I can give it justice with my words. All I can say is I love it!!!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, thank you so much for those pictures. It is our pleasure to share in this trip with you both. Those were absolutely beautiful. Enjoy!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. That place is beautiful! Thanks for the pictures. It's great sharing your adventures with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful place! I am enjoying your blog so much. Thanks for sharing you great adventure with us! Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have really been enjoying your pictures. Looking forward to meeting up with you two in Montana.

    ReplyDelete